Job: Technology & Innovation
Primary Location: Singapore
Employee Status: Permanent
Ready to take the next step in your career with us?
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It’s about showing how you embody our valued behaviours – do the right thing, better together and never settle – as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We’re committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture – one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities:
The Legal and Compliance Head is instrumental in enabling CardsPal in its operational and growth strategy. This role will be expected to lead the business in all aspects of legal and regulatory compliance advice, guidance and support and will collaborate closely with Standard Chartered Ventures (SCV).
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining strong governance of services and products.
- Understand the laws and regulations relating to CardsPal’s business including, Fintech and Technology Law, digitization, data privacy, data sharing, corporate governance, licensing requirements, insolvency, and other laws applicable to the business.
- Develop, maintain and ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of the control framework for all relevant regulatory, operational and outsourced activities.
- Establish, enhance, and monitor compliance framework in business operations.
- Lead and support compliance matters and projects, including trend analysis, incident escalation and resolution report drafting, performing monitoring or assessment, and task management.
- Product development involvement from scratch, including effective working with commercial counterparts to go through process flows and understand the technology involved.
- Negotiate commercial agreements with partners to the business, clients or market participants.
- Engage, procure and manage external counsel support as and when required.
- Develop thought leadership capability within the industry.
- Work with the SC Ventures’ CCO and Head of Legal to ensure compliance by CardsPal at all times with (i) relevant regulatory requirements, (ii) privacy laws, (iii) outsourcing requirements and (iv) any policies, standards and guidelines applicable to the CardsPal as approved by the board.
- Review product flows and development, whilst providing Legal & Regulatory Compliance insight and expertise on existing and developing business propositions.
- Lead negotiations with third parties, including technology contracts, trading agreements and partnership agreements.
- Providing guidance, advice, and/or training, to improve business’ understanding of related laws and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain compliance documentation including obligations, business unit manuals, compliance notices/circulars, governance databases, risk assessments and compliance plans.
- Coordinate internal compliance review and monitoring activities, including periodic reviews of departments.
- Prepare and present clear and concise compliance reports to the Board.
- Draft intra-group services agreements, draft and negotiate client documentation.
- Secure and maintain original agreements.
Risk Management and Governance
- Execute the relevant aspects of the Legal & Regulatory Compliance policies through robust independent risk control and the provision of specialist advice and constructive challenge in a manner proportionate to the nature, scale and complexity of CardsPal’s business.
- Drive, through the Legal & Regulatory Compliance support, new product developments and product launches
- Provide input for the design of related controls and control monitoring and reporting at the local subsidiary.
- Establish and maintain strong governance of services and products
- Assure that Legal & Regulatory Compliance risks are identified and mitigated, or are raised and risk-accepted by SC Ventures and appropriate Legal & Regulatory Compliance templates are developed and used for dealings with third parties with adequate protections and remedies to address end to end product risks, and ensure that transactions with third parties are valid and enforceable under the laws of Singapore;
- Monitor the external environment for changes in law and regulations, shifting industry or market practices and litigation affecting the venture
- Participate in the Enterprise Risk Committee and manage issues involving product related legal, regulatory and reputational risks,
- Provide robust challenge to venture management and all relevant business stakeholders where activities are outside risk tolerance/ appetite, escalating as necessary, until appropriate oversight and ownership is achieved including actions and plans to address any remedial action needed to come back within risk tolerance/ appetite.
- Close cooperation with the SCV Corporate Secretariat in relation to governance of the company
Regulatory & Business Conduct:
- Display exemplary conduct, be aware of and live by the overall SCB Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Proactively support and challenge CardsPal to exhibit appropriate conduct, comply with regulatory and compliance requirements and strive to achieve fair outcome for CardsPal’s clients and other stakeholders
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct at CardsPal. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct of Standard Chartered Bank.
- Be prepared to qualify or register as a regulated person, if required.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
Our Ideal Candidate:
The successful candidate will be part of a start-up team building an innovative platform and app leveraging data, analytics to drive the business. This is a rare opportunity for a self-driven, strong entrepreneurial spirit, start-up minded, solid and passionate professional to join and contribute to a venture.
Qualifications and Technical Knowledge
- Possesses core technical knowledge in laws and regulations applicable to the business including e-commerce, payments, e-wallet and data privacy
- Has a core grasp of the sales and transactional activities of the business, its operating model, and its key risks.
- Understanding of the relevant regulatory risks associated with the product.
- Core experience, shown by demonstrable achievements in the above areas.
- Minimum 8 years PQE. Qualified to practice in commonwealth jurisdiction, preferably Singapore.
- Experience in funding/ venture capital/e-Commerce is an advantage
- Ability to analyse relevant laws and regulations and correlate regulatory issues to products and business models.
- Ability to identify and articulate Legal & Regulatory Compliance issues, and to make clear decisions or recommendations on those issues.
Communication and client management skills
- Core ability to ensure that relevant stakeholders receive relevant and timely information on developments impacting the business, including an ability to identify “horizon” risks and issues.
- Ability to lead discussions around complex problems with relevant stakeholders.
- Ability to drive the Legal & Regulatory Compliance agenda with the rest of the entity.